Everyday I’m starting to believe more and more that depression is a contagious disease. Just being in the vicinity of some chronically depressed people is enough to get you feeling down as well and forces you to start wallowing about your own life. I guess I can’t generalize, but many people are susceptible to this form of telepathic pathogen.
Here’s what you should do to maintain your mental health and protect yourself from depression!
1. Stay away from depressing people!
2. Realizing that 1 is not possible, at least realize that these people are depressing and could infect you
3. It’s only human to feel sad and sympathize with others, but just because they have bad things going on in their life, don’t feel obligated to share your own sadness!
4. Some people are wired in a depressing way. They can have the best things in life, and really don’t appreciate any of it!
5. Some people are depressing liars! They enjoy making people get depressed! Or feel that they must give you all the negatives in their life just so you won’t “envy” them! These are the worst type of people and you should follow advise #1 regarding them!
6. There are those who specialize in pointing out the negatives in your own life! Now sure, most parents do this to help bring out the best in you. But there are those who enjoy doing that to get you depressed! Follow advice #1 with these also.
Few people have the mental maturity to survive the friends’ depression attack. Realize this and understand that you’re life is a lot better than you think, or more importantly what other people want you to think