Little trick that makes search engines go crazy about your blog
Alright folks, it's back to blogging 101. You heard everything before. Use < h1> with your titles. Use proper meta tags. Use proper technorati tags, yada yada yada ... But the simplest (Search engine optimization) SEO trick that most people will never tell you about is .....
Use Title and Alternate image properties with your images.
Yep, it's just as simple as that.
Search engines sift through million, of images every day. The only way to do it is by trying to make sense of it through it's associated properties "Title" and "Alternate"
You can have the word sex repeated in all your tags and all over your article but no one is going to pay attention because everyone does that already. But the minute you add the word sex to a picture. Watch the results explode!
Happy optimization ... happy tagging and oh ... few hints on using pictures in your blog
- Remember to keep whatever picture you post relevant to the subject
- Squeeze the image as much as you can. Use a tool like Photoshop, Paint.net or anything else to optimize your jpg. (If you have none of these, just open it in MSPAINT and save it again. That would squeeze it very well.
2.1 use JPG or PNG formats for your images. You may also use GIF, but don't EVER use BMP or RAW images, they are HUGE
- User the right size image (Don't resize it through your editor, it will get deformed. Use one of the applications mentioned earlier)
- Keep it small. (Yes, a 5 MB image is very detailed, but takes 3 minutes to download) As a rule of thumb, less than 50kb. Unless you absolutely have to
- Don't allow your pictures to flow with the text (Every browser will show it in a different place every time)
- DO NOT, hot link (As in, keep the image at the remote server, and just paste it in your posts)
- Add captions as often as you can
- Don't write INSIDE the picture, unless you're trying to annotate the content or draw attention to something
- Respect other people's copyrights.
- Give credit when credit is due.
Now, seriously, happy blogging